Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Jordan Pond House

One of the sights in Acadia National Park is Jordan Pond. At that location is Jordan Pond House restaurant. I had read many of the reviews that cautioned about reservations and parking so I set out to mitigate these issues. I used the form on their web site to request reservations. I got the most bizarre response. "At this time we cannot accept a reservation before 3:00 pm. However, we set aside 66% of our seats for walk up guests…" So who gets the other 34% of the seats before 3:00 pm? In a couple of follow-up e-mails I arranged a reservation.

The day before our reservation we took a drive up Park Loop Rd. to scout out the parking situation. It was AWFUL. All 3 parking lots were full with cars circling looking for places. We took Jordan Pond House's recommendation and rode the #5 Island Explorer from Village Green. We arrived 45 minutes early for our reservation and when we checked in she offered to put us in the queue for an early table. We were seated under an umbrella in about 20 minutes. Incidentally these umbrellas are sufficient to keep you dry even in a light rain.

The waitress recommended the Maine Seafood Chowder (which came with a popover) and we took her recommendation. The chowder was good with lots of seafood.

After lunch we took a walk down to the "pond." I'd call it a lake. And then took the Island Explorer back to Village Green.

Their web site is here and the TripAdvisor reviews are here.

No comments: